Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tokyo Kogaku: Topcon RE Super



When: 1963
Why: First TTL (through-the-lens exposure meter) SLR camera.


Though TTL was already on the market with non-SLR "Mec 16 SB" camera, Topcon came in with several nice features: SLR (of course), interchangeable lens, interchangeable viewfinders, motor drive option. Currently, TTL is very important for SLR cameras mostly because of different interchangeable lens and different lens filters.

Very detailed camera description can be found at The Casual Collector web-site.

1 comment:

Willow said...

I have a Topcon RE Super camera which is identical to th eone you have pictured. It was bought new by my father in the early 1960's and I am interested in selling it. It is is mint condition. There is also a Tamron lens (very long) that was in the case with the camera. I'm not sure if it is part of this particular camera, but I know my father used them together. I am interested in selling both of them. If you know of anyone interested, I will be happy to send pictures. There is also a Topcon RE Super book that will go with it. My email is Dewlady357@aol.com.